Kyiv-Mohyla Academy - the oldest university in eastern Europe (founded in 1654), offers you a unique opportunity to study Ukrainian language, culture, politics, history, ecology, and traditions.
The Kyiv-Mohyla Summer School program is taught in Ukrainian and English (Ukrainian language courses are offered for beginner, intermediate, and advanced students), in the heart of the beautiful city of Kyiv. Excursions and "hands-on" studies are incorporated into the Summer School program with visits to various fascinating sites throughout the country.
The Summer School 2019 will be held
from May 27 till June 21 + Western Ukraine
Summer Schools main focuses are Ukrainian Studies, History, Ukrainian literature, Folklore, lectures on current political and economic situation in Ukraine.
If you choose to attend Summer School, the month-long experience of immersing yourself in "things Ukrainian" will be one to remember for a lifetime. In addition to classroom work, you'll have a chance to visit some of the most beautiful places Ukraine during our site-seeing program, including an optional visit to the Western Ukraine.
The Kyiv-Mohyla University Summer School offers a four-week program focused on Ukrainian studies. The program includes courses in Ukrainian language, history, cultural studies and traditions including several excursions to Kyiv-area sites.
As part of the learning process you will have a great opportunity to see landmark sites in Kyiv and close neighborhood.
You will also have a chance to meet the faculty members and our graduates, who participated the Ukraine’s Revolution of Dignity as well as to visit places where major events of the Revolution took place.
To have an understanding how the program looks like, please refer to 2018 program in either English (link) or Ukrainian (link).
Program for Summer School 2019 will be given to the students on a first day of the session.
Kyiv is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. It combines historical churches and monasteries (some dating back to the 9th century AD) with modern architecture and amenities. During the past decade, the city has changed dramatically - new shops, a new central square "Maydan Nezalezhnosti" (Independence Square), have been naturally integrated with such historical areas as "Andriyivskiy Uzviz" (a bohemian street where artists and craftspeople traditionally lived and sold their works), and the rebuilt Mykhailivskiy Sobor (St. Michael's Cathedral).
Here is a list of the most interesting sites you will see in Kyiv (all included in the Summer School program):
- The historic Saint Sophia Cathedral of Kyiv, Sophia Museum
- Kyiv Botanical Garden
- Saint Michael's Cathedral and Monastery - St. Michael's museum
- Kyiv-Pecherska Lavra (Monastery of the Caves), Kyiv-Pecherska Chapel, Museum of Ukrainian Treasures.
- St. Andrew's Church and "Andriyivskiy Uzviz" crafts market
- Chornobyl Museum (Kiev).
- Art Museum of the Khanenky's (visual art treasures)
- Museum of Russian Art
- Museum of Ukrainian Decorative Art
- Museum of World War II History - exhibition of weapons
- National Historical Museum
- Taras Shevchenko Museum - Ukraine's equivalent to Shakespeare
- National Opera House (one opera or ballet included in the Summer School program)
- Pyrohovo: National Folk Architecture Museum
For additional payment, an optional trip to the Western Ukraine for 2-5 days will be organized for those Kyiv-Mohyla Summer School students who are interested in remaining in Ukraine after the completion of their Summer School program. Students will travel by overnight train with a guide, and will stay in a small privat hotel where all meals are included. Daily excursions will be organized to popular tourist sites.For more information on costs and timing of the West Ukraine holiday excursion please contact organizators.
Also, for additional payment, students, who are over 18, may choose an optional one day excursion to the Chornobyl exclusion zone and Pripyat town and polygons for radioactive waste localization. Students will travel by bus with a guide.
Welcome to ancient Kyiv on the picturesque banks of the Dnipro river!
During the Kyiv-Mohyla Summer School you will work with:
- Larysa Kadurina – Organizer of the Kyiv-Mohyla Summer School program, Director of “Osvitni Studiyi at Kyiv-Mohyla Academy”, Kyiv-Mohyla Academy Lecturer (Department of Philology)
- Mychailo Kirsenko – PhD in History, Ukrainian history instructor
- Horin Sergij – PhD in History, Ukrainian history instructor
- Maksym Vakuliuk – Ukrainian history instructor;
- Oleksandra Khalayim - Senior Lecturer in ecology of the Science faculty;
- Oleksandr Ostapko – instructor of Ukrainian and Russian languages;
- Artykutsa Natalia, Olga Kovalenko, Alina Pastuhova - Ukrainian language instructors
- and others
Volunteers, students of the Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, will help your adaptation process while you are in Ukraine.
The fee for the Kyiv-Mohyla Summer School is $2140 US Dollars. Information on payment details will be sent to applicants who submit a registration form.
The Summer School fee includes:
- 4 weeks accommodation while Ukraine (the hotel for foreign professors which is on the teritory of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy
(2 or 3 persons per room))
- meals (welcome dinner, lunches and coffee-breaks everyday except week-ends, final dinner),
- all classes and practical sessions,
- all excursions included in the Summer School program (see list)
- transportation ( to/from Kyiv-Boryspil International Airport).
For additional payment, an optional trip to the West Ukraine for six days will be organized for those Kyiv-Mohyla Summer School students who are interested in remaining in Ukraine after the completion of their Summer School program. Students will travel by overnight train with a guide, and will stay in a small privat hotel where all meals are included. And those who are willing to see places of interest in the West Ukraine will have an opportunity to go on excursions to popular tourist sites. For more information on costs and timing of the West Ukrainian holiday please contact organizators.
Please keep in mind that student numbers are limited. So send us your application today, and make sure that you guarantee yourself a place!
1 floor, room 21
tel: +380 44 425 10 47
You can contact us at the following address:
National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy
Kyiv-Mohyla Summer School - "Osvitni Studiyi"
Ukraine, Kyiv, Skovoroda Street, 2
If you are telephoning, please note that the time difference between Eastern Time in North America or Canada and Kyiv time is approximately +7 hours.