Since 1995, the Department of Environmental Studies has been training specialists in the field of Ecology and Environmental Protection, using the experience of the leading universities of Europe and America. The founder of the Department Professor Vitaliy Pavlovich Zamostyan, Doctor of Medical Sciences, became its first Head.
The Master program of the Department gives the students profound knowledge in the basic areas of environmental science and environmental management with the use of mathematical modeling and geoinformation technologies. The program provides the basis for further research in two areas: environmental science and environmental policy. The Department also propose postgraduate and doctoral programs in Environmental Studies and Ecology.
The scientific work of the Department is concentrated at the Center of Ecosystem Research, Climate Change and Sustainable Development. The main directions of its scientific activity are:
- research of energy flows in natural ecosystems of different types
- measuring of the impact of recreational loads on natural ecosystems
- studies of the migration of heavy metals and selenium in ecosystems
- working out the indicators for sustainable development of the system of institutions of higher education
The Department has a Research and Training Complex for Monitoring and Research of Ecosystems, organized in cooperation with Kholodnyi Institute of Botany of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. Our doctoral programs were opened and are functioning on the basis of this Complex. Since 2004 a new interdisciplinary strategic direction of scientific research is developing there – the ecological economy.
The department cooperates with a number of leading scientific institutions of Ukraine:
- Institute of Hydrobiology
- Institute of Botany
- Institute of Biology of the Southern Seas
- Institute of Ecotoxicology and Hygiene
- Institute of Medicine of Labour
- Karadah and Polissia Nature Reserves
- Carpathian National Nature Park
- Carpathian Biosphere Reserve
- Ukrainian Center for Land and Resources Management
- Chornobyl State Enterprise Ecocentre
- and others
Thanks to this cooperation there is a number of courses and practicums for students, ongoing research for their coursework and diploma thesises.
The Department also participates in the United Nations-supported program (UNSP); joins a distance learning course in public and private sector partnerships for environmental issues together with Yale University (USA) and fifteen other universities of the World; conducts an international science project with the University of Oklahoma, USA.
Alumni of the Department often continue their studies abroad: they compete for study grants and receive education at US universities with the help of Maski and Fulbright programs, visit Central European University (Hungary), participate in the new MESPOM that includes two academic years in three out of four universities: Manchester (Great Britain), Lund (Sweden), Aegensky (Greece) and Central European (Hungary).